Information and Support for all Health Matters

Who at EAAA should I talk to if I am not feeling well? 

Your manager will be able to support you, there are also details of other contacts like Chaplains, HR and Mental Health first Aiders below. If you work front line then the best person to speak to in the first instance is Dr Victor Inyang (the Medical Director), Dr Rob Major, Dr Nicola Ebbs, Neil Flowers or Andy Downes. They form part of the Clinical Leadership Team.

If you are unable to attend work because you are unwell you should contact your manager. If it is outside of office hours and you are going to miss a shift  because you are unwell please contact Ops On-Call as soon as possible so they can update the rota. They will notify your line manager you are away but you don’t need to tell them any details about why you are ill if you would rather only discuss that with your manager.  

What if I don’t want to talk to my line manager? 

Your manager does need to know the reasons why you are absent from work but you can also talk to any of EAAA’s trained Mental Health First Aiders. 

We’ve put together some advice on confidentiality when you speak to a Mental Health First Aider.

We also have Chaplains you are able to contact if you wish too. Their details are: 

Name  Telephone  Email
Reverend Stuart Wood 07770 792371

Reverend David Hagan-Palmer

07523 380826

How is absence recorded? 

If you let us know you are unwell we will record it as sick leave. 

All staff also have 2 wellbeing days a year. You may decide to take time away from work using the wellbeing days system.

All staff have an entitlement to full paid sick leave. The amount you are entitled to is based on your length of service. HR or your line manager will be able to confirm how much to you.

What are Wellbeing Days? 

On some occasions a person may be feeling overwhelmed, in low mood or anxious. To support people who are mentally fatigued the Charity has Wellbeing Days available. These are two paid days per leave year when an employee can contact their manager and ask for a late notice absence from work to take some time to collect their thoughts and simply attend to their mental health. In the event you are unable to contact your line manager, employees should notify HR of their intention to take a wellbeing day. Not everyone will need these days and some may find they would like more time, in which case the arrangement for sickness absence should be followed.  

Photo credit: Red Wellies Photography

What wellbeing support is available at EAAA?

Support Available What is it? How do I access it?

What data does the charity hold on this?

Headspace Meditation has been shown to help people stress less, focus more and even sleep better. Headspace is meditation made simple. Any member of staff can access Headspace for free. You will need an EAAA email to sign up and can transfer a personal account to this service for free. You can access it here. We receive summary data of all users. It cannot pinpoint individual usage.
87% 87% is an app which helps asses your current wellbeing and gives you activities, articles and ideas to help you strengthen your health. To request your login detail please contact HR. No information is passed back to EAAA.
Simply Health (Mental Health) Available for all directly employed staff and some seconded staff too. You have access to six face to face counselling sessions for each issue that you present with in a 12-month period (beginning with your first session for each issue). Please call 0800 975 3347 where you will first talk to a telephone counsellor to establish the most appropriate course of action. If it is agreed that you require face to face counselling, you will be asked for the name of your employer to check your eligibility. If you have not received your login details already please contact No information is passed back to EAAA.
Simply Health (Physical Health) Available for all directly employed staff and some seconded staff too, this service helps cover the cost of healthcare bills, such as the dentist or optician.  You can also add dependents (for free) and partners (at a charge). If you have not received your login details already please contact No information is passed back to EAAA.
Support for Pilots Babcock Confidential Care Helpline 24/7. 0800 085 1376 No information is passed back to EAAA.
East of England Ambulance Service Staff Employee Assistance Programme. 0800 085 1376 No information is passed back to EAAA.

What about if I am a friend/family member concerned about a loved one who works for EAAA? 

Just knowing all the support that is available (listed above) is a great start and you can remind your loved one all of this is available.  But you still might feel worried and want to make sure EAAA know about it. 

EAAA cannot discuss the wellbeing status or support somebody is accessing, but if you have concerns and want to share any details it is best to contact a member of the HR Team in the first instance. 

Their details are: 

Name  Job Title Email
Sarah Atkins                      Director of People and Culture

Rachel Herbert HR Manager

Anna Selwyn  HR Advisor


When you make contact with a member of the team they will: 

  • Ask how you are connected to the person you want to discuss 

  • Ask if the person knows you are contacting HR and at the end of the conversation ask them if you are happy they let the person know you’ve been in contact 

  • Listen to your concerns 

  • Run through the support EAAA has available (making no reference to what is already in place) 

  • Ask for your contact details should HR need to follow up with you

Specialist Support

Information about health problems and treatments, including details of local NHS services in England. 

Advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem.
T: 0300 123 3393 E:

24-hour emotional support for anyone who needs to talk. Calls are free from all providers and do not appear on bills. 
T: 116 123 (24 hours a day)  E: 

Free, 24/7 mental health text support in the UK

Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM)
Offers support for men who are feeling down or in crisis.  
T: 0800 58 58 58 (5pm-midnight daily) Webchat (5pm-midnight daily)

Information about health problems and treatments, including details of local NHS services in England. 

Papyrus HOPELineUK 
Confidential support for under-35s at risk of suicide and others who are concerned about them. Calls and texts are free from all providers and do not appear on bills.  
T: 0800 068 41 41 (weekdays 10am-10pm, weekends 2pm-10pm, bank holidays 2pm-5pm) Text: 07786 209697 E:

Committed to improving the mental health of babies, children and young people, including support for parents and carers. 
T: 0808 802 5544 (parents helpline) Text: 85258 (crisis messenger service) 

Triumph Over Phobia (TOP UK)
Provides self-help therapy groups and support for those with OCD, phobias and related anxiety disorders. 

Beating Addictions
Information about a range of addictive behaviours and treatments. 

We Are With You 
Supports people with drug, alcohol or mental health problems, and their friends and family. 

Information and support for friends and family of people with drug or alcohol problems. 

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)
Help and support for anyone with alcohol problems. 
T: 0800 9177 650 

Change, Grow, Live
Specialising in substance misuse and criminal justice intervention projects in England and Wales.

Confidential advice and information about drugs, their effects and the law. 
T: 0300 123 6600 

Gamblers Anonymous
Support groups for anyone wanting to stop gambling. 

Information and support for people wanting to stop gambling, including a helpline and online forum.
T: 0808 8020 133 

National Association for Children of Alcoholics 
Provides information, advice and support for everyone affected by a parent's drinking, including adults. 
T: 0800 358 3456 

National Problem Gambling Clinic 
Treats problem gamblers living in England and Wales aged 13 and over. 

Narcotics Anonymous 
Support for anyone who wants to stop using drugs.
T: 0300 999 1212 

National charity that gives free and confidential advice about drugs and the law. 
T: 020 7324 2989 

Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous
Support groups for people with sex and love addictions. 
T: 020 7293 0994  

NHS Smokefree 
NHS information and advice to help stop smoking. 

Turning Point 
Provides health and social care services for people with drug, alcohol and mental health problems. 

Cruse Bereavement Care 
Charity providing information and support after someone you know has died.  
T: 0808 808 1677

Child Berevment UK 
Family support for after the death of a child and support with grief for children and young people (up to the age of 25)
T: 0800 02 888 40

At A Loss
Helping berveaded people find support and wellbeing. 

Sands is the UK's leading pregnancy and baby loss charity in the UK.
T: 0808 164332

Leeway (Norfolk and Suffolk)
Support and information to any adult or child experiencing domestic abuse in Norfolk and Suffolk.
T: 0300 561 0077 (Domestic Abuse Helpline)

National Centre for Domestic Violence
A free emergency injunction service to survivors of domestic abuse and violence.
T: 0800 970 2070  Text: NCDV to 60777

Respect: Men's Advice Line
Domestic Abuse Helpline for Men. 
T: 0808 8010327

Rise Up and Recover (App)
Available: App Store, Google Play 

Recover Record  (App)
Available: App Store, Google Play 

Anorexia and Bulimia Care (ABC) 
Advice and support for anyone affected by eating problems. 
T: 03000 11 12 13 

Association for Family Therapy and Systemic Practice 
Information about family therapy, including a directory of therapists. 

Under 18s helpline, webchat and online support groups for people with eating disorders, such as anorexia and bulimia. 
Youth line: 0808 801 0711 Student line: 0808 801 0811

Overeaters Anonymous Great Britain 
Local support groups for people with eating problems. 

ASSIST Trauma Care 
Information and specialist help for people who've experienced trauma or are supporting someone who has. 

Birth Trauma Association 
Support for anyone affected by birth trauma, including partners. 

Combat Stress 
Treatment and support for armed forces veterans who have mental health problems. 
T: 0800 1381 619 

Disaster Action  
Information and support for people affected by major disasters in the UK and overseas. 

Freedom from Torture 
Supports survivors of torture. 

Help for Adult Victims of Child Abuse (HAVOCA)
Information and support for adults affected by childhood abuse, including an online support forum. 

Support for survivors of sexual abuse and anyone supporting them, including a helpline, text support and email counselling. 
T: 0808 802 08 08 Text: 07717 989 022

The National Association for People Abused in Childhood (NAPAC) 
A charity supporting adult survivors of any form of childhood abuse. Provides a support line and local support services. 
T: 0808 801 0331

PTSD Resolution 
Helps veterans, reservists and their families with trauma and distress. 
T: 0300 302 0551 

Information and support for people bereaved or seriously injured due to road crashes. 
T: 08454 500 355

The Survivors Trust 
Lists local specialist services for survivors of sexual violence, including advocates and Independent Sexual Violence Advisors (ISVAs). 
T: 08088 010 818 

Victim Support 
Provides emotional and practical support for people affected by crime and traumatic events. 
T: 0808 168 9111 

User-led organisation that supports people who self-harm, and their friends and family. 

User-led self-harm guidance and support network. 

The Mix  
Support and advice for under 25s, including webchat. 
T: 0808 808 4994  Text: 85258 (crisis messenger service, Text THEMIX)

National Self Harm Network (NSHN) 
Survivor-led online support forum for people who self-harm, their friends and families. 

Self-injury Support
Information and support for women and girls affected by self-harm, trauma and abuse. 
T: 0808 800 8088  Text: 0780 047 2908 

If you don't feel you can keep yourself safe right now, seek immediate help. 

  • Go to any hospital A&E department  
  • Call 999 and ask for an ambulance if you can't get to A&E 
  • Ask someone else to contact 999 for you or take you to A&E immediately 

If you need some support right now, but don't want to go to A&E, here are some other options for you to try: 

Stay Alive 
Suicide prevention resource. 
Available: App Store, Google Play 

See Mind’s page on helping yourself cope right now, and on crisis services.
T: 0300 123 3393 E:

24-hour emotional support for anyone who needs to talk. 
T: 116 123 (24 hours a day) E:

24/7 text messaging support service for anyone who is struggling to cope.

BMA Counselling and Doctor Advisor Service 24/7 
Free and confidential 24/7 counselling and peer support services open to all doctors and medical students (regardless of BMA membership), plus their partners and dependents.
T: 0330 1231245 

Doctors Support Network 
Specialist psychotherapeutic service for doctors.

Mind Blue Light Infoline (9-6 Mon-Fri)
Mind have a specific resource area on their website, found HERE.
T: 0300 303 5999 Text: 84999 E:

Citizens Advice
Citizens Advice is an independent organisation specialising in confidential information and advice to assist people with legal, debt, consumer, housing and other problems in the United Kingdom.

Christians Against Poverty
A national organisation specialising in debt counselling for people in financial difficulty, including those in need of bankruptcy or insolvency.

Talking Money
Free, independent, specialist money advice to individuals and their families. This includes debt, energy debt, benefits and income maximisation advice.